Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Bag Lady!


I've made a few bags in the past. In an effort to blog more, I've decided to share them online.

The first bag I ever made was at a beginner's sewing class at the Made Studio in Dallas years ago. Up until that point, I never really had any "formal" sewing classes. I taught myself in high school by trial and error, having found my mother's old sewing machine and needing pants hemmed (my mother had a sewing machine, but didn't know how to work it).

To be honest, I didn't learn much about sewing in the class. I knew how to sew before taking the class. But what I did gain was confidence that I was doing everything right! Confidence... and a super cute, simple bag.

The next bag I made was a quilted duffel bag that has served as my gym bag for the past 3 years. It was made using the now OOP Simplicity 2600. It's a cute, yet sturdy bag.



Next up is the Anna Maria Horner Multi-Tasker Tote. My favorite bag. I might have picked the loudest color to go with the loudest possible print.



I LOVE this bag. I'm a pocket fiend, so this bag is my bff. The four outside pockets are the perfect size for bottles (or sode cans). The only pattern changes I made were to interface with fusible fleece to the outside panels for a sturdier bag, and to add a magnetic snap closure.

Finally, I was recently selected to test the lovely Eleanor slouchy hobo from Paco Bean Patterns. I chose a brown weathered leather-looking microfiber for the outside, and leftover quilting cotton for the inside lining. I added a beaded trim to the outside from an old broken belt from my middle school days.



Featured on the inside is a single zippered pocket.



I will probably use this bag most often simce it's a neutral color and it goes with more. Usually, I gravitate toward the loudest and most bold prints and colors that I can find, so this bag is a nice change.



And that's all for now, folks!

3 comments: